- General Questions
- Questions answered on ONBIS Services
- Answers to your questions on NUANS
- Answers to questions on Ontario Article Filing
- Answers to questions on Federal Article Filing
- Answers to Questions regarding CIA Form 1 Filings
- Questions on PPSA Searching
- Answers to questions on PPSA Registrations
- Answers to questions on Security Search Services
- Answers on Ontario Business Registration Filings
- Answers on Enhanced Business Name Search Service
- Answers regarding Annual Return Filings
- Domain Name Registration answers to your questions
1. General Questions:
- I am interested in finding out more about Cyberbahn and/or Marque d’or and its offerings? How can I do this? Please select Solutions from the top tool bar, by completing our contact us form or call us toll free 1-800-267-0183 or in Quebec 1-800-668-0668.
- Can Cyberbahn and/or Marque d’or provide me with advice on how to fill out any of the legal forms or government documents? If you require legal advice prior to conducting any filings, these inquiries should be directed to legal counsel. Although our customer support staff can provide assistance with which fields are mandatory for completion of documents, the names of the forms that must be completed, they are unable to provide legal advice as to what information is to be entered onto the forms.
- What does Cyberbahn offer? Cyberbahn offers web access to corporate search and registration services as well as corporate supplies. Here are just a few of the searches and registrations available through Cyberbahn:
- NUANS name search reports—reports required to incorporate a company
- Profile Reports—information on officers, directors, head office of corporation
- Business Name Reports—information on principals, place of business
- PPSA Search and Registration Services—Personal Property Security Act Services
- CIA Form 1 Filings—change the information on your corporate record
- Annual Return Filings—remain compliant with your annual return filing
- Nationwide Security Searches—Bank Act, Bankruptcy, Writs of Execution
- Domain Name Registrations
- Corporate Supplies—Minute Books, Seals, Share Certificates etc.
- I am interested in finding out more about Cyberbahn and its offerings? How can I do this? Please select Services from the Top tool bar, mail us at Cyberbahn.ContactUs@thomsonreuters.com or simply call us at 416-306-3087 or toll free at 800.267.0183 opt. 4 and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you.
- I am interested in opening up an account with Cyberbahn to use online services on a regular basis. How do I register to do this? Please select the Register button from the Cyberbahn homepage and you can register online. For assistance with registration, simply contact our Solutions Consultants at Cyberbahn.ContactUs@thomsonreuters.com or call us at 416-306-3087 or toll free at 800-267-0183 opt 4.
- If I only need to use your services once or on occasion, do I need to open up an account with Cyberbahn? No. Please select the following link http://www.cyberbahn.ca/entrepreneur2/client/default.htm and let our wizard lead you through your search or registration.
2. Questions answered on ONBIS Services:
- What is ONBIS? ONBIS (Ontario Business Information System) is database maintained by the Ontario Companies and Personal Property Security Branch. It contains public record information on all registered businesses and non-for-profit organizations in Ontario.
- If I incorporate a company today, will it appear on your ECI list? The corporation name will not appear on Cyberbahn’s ECI results but it will appear on the Ministry Consumer and Business Services with the corporate name, corporate number and date of incorporation.
- How can I get a printout of the Certificate and Articles of Incorporation? You are able to obtain a copy of the Certificate and Articles of Incorporation by ordering a microfiche from the MCBS.
- Can I get information on a Federal corporation? This information can be obtained through our Security Search service. This includes ordering corporate profile reports and Certificate of Compliance. If the Federal corporation has obtained an Ontario corporation number to carry on business in Ontario, then you are able to obtain a corporation profile report with information that the corporation has submitted to the MCBS.
- What kind of information can I get on the various reports? Please select the Services Information link from the top menu on the home page for full information on the type of reports available and the information that will be provided by each.
- What do the various abbreviations in the ECI results tables mean? In order to view further information on any abbreviation or acronym in the results table, please click on the underlined heading of any particular column.
- What does a profile report show me? The Corporation Profile Report displays current information on the public record for the subject corporation. All active directors and officers are listed. Some historical information, such as amalgamating corporations, where the subject corporation is an amalgamation, and name history are included in the report OR Please select the Services Information link from the top menu bar for full information on the type of reports available and the information that will be provided by each.
- I ordered my profile report last week and I did not print it or save it, how do I view my profile report again? Any corporate search will stay on our system for two business days. If you did not print or save you will have to order the search again, unfortunately, we will not be able to recover the search results.
- What does certified mean? Certified means that you will receive the report with an electronic signature from the Ministry certifying the information is true on the Ministry’s database.
- Can I get information on an amalgamated company? You can get information on an amalgamated company by ordering a profile report. The active corporation will only show the most current information. The amalgamated corporation will only show the corporate name, number, status as ‘amalgamated’ and the new amalgamated corporate number. You can also obtain an amalgamation chart which will show all the amalgamation tree.
- What date should I use for a point in time report? You should enter the date a form was filed with the Ministry, i.e. Notice of Change, to see what information was filed on that specific date.
- What is the difference between a profile report and a point in time report? A profile report will show you the current info on the Ministry’s database.The point in time report will show you the info on the specific date you have entered to search.
- I just incorporated why does it not show up on Cyberbahn? You should enter the date a form was filed with the Ministry, i.e. Notice of Change, to see what information was filed on that specific date.
- What date should I use for a point in time report? If you just incorporated, it will not show on Cyberbahn’s ECI result because our currency date is usually one week behind. To see the currently date check on corporate search ECI in the ONBIS icon
3. Answers to your questions on NUANS:
- I did an Ontario biased NUANS. Can I incorporate federally with this NUANS? No, you will have to order the NUANS report in the jurisdiction you plan to incorporate in.
- How long is NUANS valid for? A NUANS reservation is valid for 90 days.
- Why didn’t my name show up on the preliminary name search but it showed up on the NUANS report? When you reserve the proposed name the proposed name appears in the NUANS report. Preliminary searches are completed by the CSRs which imputs the proposed names in the NUANS system and force the system to bring up certain results. When you reserve the name, the NUANS system automatically will pick up similar names to the proposed name.
- Does the name on a search have to match the name I wish to incorporation exactly? Your NUANS report must match your proposed name exactly. However, you are able to change the legal element of your proposed name. If your search has a different legal element (i.e. Ltd., Inc., Corp.) than your Articles, certain governments (Federal, Ontario) will allow you to use the legal element of your choice. Other than the legal element you are not allowed to change any other aspect of the name. This rule may vary depending on the Province/Territory and should be confirmed with the relevant government agency.
- Can I use any name, word or expression in my corporate name? When thinking of a name, you should be as distinctive as possible. General names such as “Computer Consulting Limited” stand a greater chance of being rejected or may already be in use. Adding a distinctive element such as Childwold Computer Consulting Limited to the name would improve the chances of obtaining clearance for incorporation. Please note that there are certain restrictions depending upon the jurisdiction and that jurisdiction’s guidelines and regulations.
- Where is the NUANS reference number located? On the top portion of the NUANS report you will see your proposed name and directly to the right is your reservation number. It is an 8-digit number.
- My NUANS report indicates that I have chose a bad name. Can I repeat the search with another name without incurring further charges? Unfortunately not. Once a NUANS report is requested, a reservation is made and results are not reversible. In order to avoid disappointing results, please conduct a free preliminary search first before ordering a NUANS reservation in order to determine the suitability of the name being proposed.
4. Answers to questions on Ontario Article Filing:
- How long does it take to process my Articles of Incorporation? Your articles are processed immediately and placed directly into your account under the ‘report’ section if submitted between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. (E.S.T.). If submitted outside of these hours, they will be placed in queue for automatic submission on resumption of regular service.
- How do I add a legal element or period to the name reserved on my NUANS report? Once you click on ‘validate NUANS’ in the “Corporate Name” section, the name reserved in the NUANS will appear in two text boxes. Remove the check mark beside ‘same as above’ and place the legal element or period in the bottom text box only. You will receive a validation warning stating that the name is different from that on your NUANS report, but you can choose to ‘submit and ignore warnings’.
- Do the Articles have to be signed? When documents are filed in electronic format, an original signature is not required.
- Can I incorporate a non-for-profit corporation on-line? Regrettably, incorporation of a non-for-profit corporation is not available at this time.
- Can I file Articles of Amendment or Articles of Amalgamation on-line? Regrettably, incorporation of a non-for-profit corporation is not available at this time.
- Can I register for G.S.T. on your website, after I have incorporated? No, if you wish to register for G.S.T. you can contact the Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-5525 or go to their website at http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/
- Is my corporate number my Business Number and G.S.T. Number? Your corporation number is not the same as your Business Number and G.S.T. Your corporation number is unique number that the Ministry assigns to your corporation once it is registered.
- Do I need a lawyer to file my articles? A lawyer may provide valuable advice but is not a legal requirement for successful incorporation. If you feel comfortable enough in setting up the corporation according to all the applicable laws, you can incorporate on your own.
- Does it matter which legal ending I choose? Legally there is no difference between the various types of legal endings, and these are a matter of personal taste/choice.
- Is there a difference between incorporating as a numbered or as a named company? Apart from the obvious difference and the necessity of acquiring a NUANS reservation for a named corporation, there is no legal difference between the 2 naming options as long as the name is not a potentially contentious or problematic one.
- Which information can I change after incorporation, and how do I do this? By filing a CIA Form 1: Notice of Change, you can change the name(s) of the director(s), address and head office address of the corporation. However, if you would like to make changes to the share structure, Articles of Amendment need to be filed in order to make those changes. Please note that, at this point in time, Articles of Amendment cannot be filed online through Cyberbahn.
- What is a legal opinion? Why would I require one? Legal opinion is a statement that you make when you are incorporating a corporate name that is already in existence (i.e. the existing corp. name has not been dissolved for more than 10 years or changed its name or amalgamated).
- What types of shares are there? There are many types of shares that a corporation can create for their corporation. The most common ones are common share or preference (preferred) shares.
- Can I change my legal ending? What is the difference between Inc. and Ltd.? You will be able to change your legal ending from the way you reserved it on the NUANS report. That is the only thing that you will be able to change once you decide to incorporate. There is no difference between the three legal endings. It is basically preference on how you want your name to be set out.
- Who is the contact person? The contact person information is the person that the Ministry will contact if there are any problems with the registration.
- Can incorporation be an incorporator? Or director? Another corporation can be an incorporator but not a director. A person of 18 yrs or older can be a director.
- Should I have a named or numbered corporation? Having a named or numbered corporation is the client’s preference. They must determine on how they want to set out the corporation name.
- How do I print off my reports and invoice? You will have to go into two different areas in the Articles of Incorporation service. To print off the reports you will click on the word ‘Reports’ on the top blue banner and print off all the reports by clicking on the word ‘success’ under the heading ‘All Reports’ or print each section separately under each heading. To print off the invoice you will click on the words ‘Record of Transaction’ and select your transaction by placing a checkmark next to the corporate name and then select the ‘Create Invoice’ button.
- If I misplace my Articles, which I filed through Cyberbahn, can I get another copy? We can try to place the completed Articles back into the client’s account by going into the Shortcut Administrator or the client may have to order a microfiche against the corporation to obtain the Articles.
- Am I required to keep a signed copy of Articles in my minute book? The electronic Certificate and Articles of Incorporation are the original forms that should be placed in the minute book. There are no signatures required when filing electronically. It is up to the client if they want a signed copy by the incorporator/first directors placed in the minute book.
5. Answers to questions on Federal Article Filing:
- How long does it take to process my Federal articles of incorporation? Your articles are usually processed within 24 hours, but this time may vary according to request volumes and Examiner availability. Each transaction is individually assessed by a Corporations Canada Examiner, making it difficult to provide an exact processing turnaround time.
- I have a NUANS report. Does this mean the name I wish to incorporate has been pre-approved? No. Although a NUANS is mandatory, it is not the equivalent of pre-approval. Pre-approval is a virtual guarantee that the name will be accepted, and can only be provided by Industry Canada. Please see the instructions on ‘How to Pre-Approve a Name’ for further information from the Federal Articles of Incorporation instruction page.
- How to I print my Certificate and Articles of Incorporation? You will receive a confirmation email that your Articles have been completed. Log back into our website and go back into the Federal Articles icon. Click on Record of Transaction and click on the word “Completed” and you will be able to print all reports.
- My name has been rejected; can I submit a different name? Yes you can submit with a different name, however, you will have to order another NUANS report for the new name.
6. Answers to Questions regarding CIA Form 1 Filings:
- What do I do if I receive an error message after attempting an electronic filing? There are various reasons for receiving an ‘Error’ message. Click on the transaction ID for any of these transactions in order to determine the reason for the error. One particular error warrants further discussion:
The error: "Corporation being updated (Incomplete filing). Filing cannot be accepted at this time," indicates that the Ministry is updating that particular corporation’s record. In such instances, it usually means that a manual document has been submitted to Companies and Personal Property Security Branch for this corporation. In order to ensure documents are filed in sequence and the file is unlocked, please allow three business days before re-submitting an electronic filing.
- How will I know when the MGS has locked the file? Unfortunately, the MGS cannot provide Cyberbahn with the status of the lock. We are not informed of when the file was originally locked or when the record will become available for electronic filing. Because update times will vary, the Ministry can only provide an estimate time, hence the 3 business days.
- Can I still do a Data Extract on a locked file? Please note that a Data Extract can be pulled on all locked files. After all, a Data Extract is very similar to a Corporation Profile Report. Only when a client tries to file for a corporation that is locked (being updated) will the above- mentioned warning message appear.
- Why doesn’t Cyberbahn send the filing for me when the corporate record becomes unlocked? Although this option was considered, we felt it would be more prudent not to do so because any changes being made to the corporate record while it was locked may have affected the pending filing. For the aforementioned reason, Cyberbahn will urge all clients to pull a Data Extract on all corporations that have been locked (updated) by Companies and Personal Property Security Branch, prior to submitting any new filings.
- What if the date elected/appointed is before the date of incorporation for a director or officer? You can change the elected/appointed date, but only if you do not change the address on the same entry at the same time.
- What if the data extract has missing/blank fields? Depending on the number and type of fields missing, these could either be filled in or would require intervention by Cyberbahn or the MGS. Please call Cyberbahn for assistance at 1-800-806-0003.
- How can I get a copy of a Form 1 that has been filed with the Ministry? You will not be able to obtain a physical copy of the file form 1 from the Ministry unless it has been filed prior to June 1992 that is available on the corporation’s microfiche. If it has been filed after June 1992, then you can order a point in time report to see the information that was filed with the Ministry.
- How long is a data extract on the system for? If it is no longer in my record of transaction can it be retrieved by Cyberbahn? Data extract acts as a corporate search if you do not save it to the database. It will stay on the system for two business days. If it is saved, it will stay on the system for 6 months. We will be able to revert the expired data extract back into the client’s account by going into the intranet (back end) and going into Client Administration, and select ‘Revert Expired Data Extracts’. You will need the client’s username and corporate number in order to place the data extract back into the account.
- How long are Form 1 saved on the system? Form 1 is saved for 6 months on our database. If it is older then we can try to place it back into the client’s account by going into Shortcut Administrator.
- Can I file a Form 1 right after filing my Articles? Yes, you can file the Form 1 immediately after filing the Articles of Incorporation.
- Who is the person authorizing the filing? The person authorizing the filing can be the director, officer or person who has knowledge of the corporation.
7. Questions on PPSA Searching through Cyberbahn:
- What can be searched in the PPSR systems?
Individual Name (with/without date of birth)
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Can I search similar corporate/business names? No. You are required to search exact business names or corporate names.
- I ordered a Certified Search, how do I get the results? The results are sent to you directly from the Ministry. The method of delivery varies depending on the specifications you set out when you set up your account. You can choose to have the certified search mailed, or couriered to your office, or if you live in the GTA, you can pick up the results at the counter.
8. Answers to questions on PPSA Registrations:
- What is the difference between “Batch” and “Real Time” registrations? “Real Time” registration will result in immediate registration with the Companies and Personal Property Security Branch and you are able to obtain an instant Verification Statement. “Batch” registration will be processed at various times throughout the business day. Time lines are set out as follows:
Time for Submitting Batches Time for Retrieving Batches
10:30 AM 11:45 PM
2:30 PM 3:45 PM
6:00 PM 9:30 AM the next day
- What is the difference between errors and warnings on the Cyberbahn system? If there are any errors, these will be indicated in red and need to be corrected in order to file the registration successfully.If there are any warnings, these will be indicated in blue and not to be addressed in order to file the registration successfully. It is possible that the Companies and Personal Property Security Branch many not accept filings containing warning messages.
- What is required for the individual debtor? If the debtor is an individual, the following information is required:
-First given name, middle initial, and surname
-Date of birth
- What is required for a corporation debtor? If the debtor is a corporation, the following information is required:
Full corporate name
- How long can I see the information regarding a discharged PPSA registration? A registration that is discharged will still show up in the PPSR system up to sixty days after the discharge is filed, however the status should appear as “Discharged”. After 60 days, the file is removed from the PPSR system.
- How long does a “draft” registration stay on the system? Up to 6 months
9. Answers to Questions on Security Search Services:
- What searches are available through Security Search? The following security searches are available nationwide:
-Bank Act Searches (Section 427)
-Business Names Reports
-Certificates of Compliance
-Corporation Profile Report
-Corporation Status Certificates
-Superintendent of Bankruptcy/Official Receiver Searches
-US Corporate and Business Searches
-Writs of Execution Searches (including OWL (Ontario Writs Locator) Searches)
- Where am I able to print off my report? Go to the “Bundle Search List” and once the status says “Completed” you will be able to print the documents
10. Answers to questions on Ontario Business Registration Filings:
- Can I print off my renewal from the website? No, Master Business Licence Renewals are mailed out to the mailing address specified on the form.
- Should I register or incorporate my business? This is the client’s preference. A business registration is an extension of you carrying on business where a corporation is a separate entity.
- If I register my business name can someone else use it? Yes. The Ministry allows for more than one business name to exist or register at the same time. It is not advisable to register with the same name that already exists.
- I just incorporated can I register a business name now? Yes, you can register your corporate style immediately after incorporation.
- What is a business name registration? A business registration is a small business i.e. sole proprietorship, general partnership and corporate style.
- When do I get my renewal? When you file the renewal electronically, the Master Business Licence is mailed out to the mailing address within 7 to 10 days.
- If I check off WSIB, RST, EHT am I already registered? No, WSIB, RST and EHT will receive the business registration information electronically, however, they will mail out additional information and forms to be completed to the mailing address of the business registration.
- Why do I have to do a corporate validation? To confirm that the corporation is active on the Ministry’s database and the Ministry will return the head office address to be pre-populated into the form.
- Why is it not accepting my corporate number for the corporate validation procedure? You must ensure that you are entering 9 digits for the corporate number. For example if the corporate number is 123456 enter the number 000123456.
- When I submit my corporate validation am I submitting my registration? No, you will not be able to submit your registration unless the corporate validation is complete.
- Can a Corporation be a partner? Yes, a corporation can be a general partner.
- What does designated partner mean? Designated partner is the partner that will appear on the Ministry’s records.
- What if I have more than 10 partners? If you have more than 10 partners, you will have to register manually. You would have to add additional sheets to your registration so you can fill in name and address of each partner. You can contact our sister company Legal Link who can file it on your behalf.
- Does a business name expire? Do I receive any notification from the government? Yes, a business name has a life of 5 years. The Ministry will not notify you that the business registration is about to expire.
- Do I have to use Cyberbahn’s ECI search feature? No. This feature is optional but may be useful for confirming corporate names and numbers.
- How do I submit a registration being registered in the name of a trust fund? Enter the trust fund as an individual person and use the “Last Name” field to enter the name of your trust fund.
- Can I alter the address of a corporation by making the changes after receiving the “Corporation Validation” results? You can alter this address, but you will only be making the alteration for the purposes of this registration. It is still your duty to correct the address listed at the MGS by filing a Form 1: Notice of Change. Furthermore, if you change the jurisdiction in the relevant address field, you will not be able to obtain a Master Business Licence in real-time electronically.
- I have received a message in my Transactions List stating that my transaction has been “Completed with Errors”. What does this mean? If the error message states that your business has been registered but that no Master Business Licence (MBL) will be issued electronically, please contact Cyberbahn immediately. In some instances this message reflects a temporary technical problem with the result that your MBL will be sent to you via regular mail. If you do not wish to wait for your MBL, it may be possible for us to get another MBL issued to you on resumption of regular services, but the initial problem must be reported to us within the same business day of its occurrence.
11. Answers to questions on Enhanced Business Name Search Service:
- How do I search for a business name? Go to the Enhanced Business Name icon to obtain a Business Names Report.
- How long does it take for me to obtain my search results? Just as long as the search was submitted between 8:30 to 5:30 Monday to Friday, the search results are immediately available.
- Can I perform an expired business name search? No, this type of search must be performed at the Ministry of Government Services.
- Do I have to enter the exact name being searched? If you choose the “Exact/Similar” name search option, you do not need to enter the exact name of the business you wish to search for, however, please note that a search request which is too vague will not be completed where the numbers of results are too great to display.
- I typed in the business name, but I received a statement of no match, why? There are various reasons of why you received a Statement of No Match:
-The business name may have been entered incorrectly.
-The business name may have expired.
-The business name may have been cancelled
12. Your questions answered regarding Annual Return Filings:
- Can I get a copy of an Annual Return that has been filed with the Ministry? No, you will not be able to get a physical copy of the Annual Return filing from the Ministry. You can order a Point-in-Time report on the day the Annual Return was filed to see what information was filed.
- Why am I unable to retrieve a Deficiency Data Extract? If you are not able to obtain a deficiency data extract, it means that the corporation does not have any deficiencies.
- How long before the information is updated with the Ministry? When you file the Annual Return electronically, it updates the Ministry’s database immediately.
- If I file an Annual Return for a previous year will it overwrite what’s currently on the record? Yes, whenever you file an Annual Return, it will overwrite the current information on the Ministry’s database.
- Where do I order a Data Extract? You will have to order the Data Extract from the Form 1 icon and then once it is successful, select the transaction and click on “Annual Return” to populate the information in the Annual Return section.
13. Domain Name Registration answers to your questions:
- Can I register a Domain Name through Cyberbahn? Yes you can, we offer 4 domain name registrations. .ORG, .COM, .NET, .CA
- How long does it take to get my Domain Name? Domains .ORG, .NET, or .COM can be returned within an hour. .CA domains are handled by CIRA, therefore they can take up to a week to be returned, and CIRA will correspond directly with the client regarding the registration.
- Who is CIRA? CIRA is the Canadian company that approves .CA domain registrations. Once a name is submitted to TUCOWS, CIRA will contact the client. They will have the client complete documentation and return to CIRA for name approval. Once CIRA approves the name they will advise the client and TUCOWS of the status and we will receive confirmation of the approval from TUCOWS.
- What is the Cost of registering a Domain Name? Cost of a Domain name varies depending on the number of years it is being registered for. A price will be quoted to the client prior to submitting the request through Cyberbahn.